The AGO 2019 West Region Convention will provide opportunities for attendees to see, hear and appreciate some of the most interesting, unique and beautiful venues and organs in southern California. The following are a list of venues currently scheduled.
St. John’s Lutheran Church of Orange
185 S Center St, Orange, CA 92866
The St. John's Lutheran Church of Orange, California is a Lutheran church. The church was founded in 1882, and its sanctuary was built in 1913-14. The building was renovated and rededicated in 1990.
The organ is a five manual, 150-rank, R.M. Ballantyne Pipe Organ which was dedicated in 2017.
(formerly Crystal Cathedral)
13280 Chapman Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92840
The pipe organ in the Christ Cathedral Arboretum is a four manual, 82 rank, 4,949 pipe Aeolian-Skinner (Opus 1141) built in 1947.
Garden Grove United Methodist Church
12741 Main St, Garden Grove, CA 92840
The Opus 1489 organ is a three manual, 48-rank, 2,659 pipe organ built and installed in 1966 by the Reuter Organ Company of Lawrence, Kansas.
Covenant Presbyterian Church
607 East 3rd Street, Long Beach, CA 90802
Covenant Presbyterian Church was created in 1963 through the merging of two historic Long Beach churches, one of which dates back to 1888, a year after Long Beach was founded. Covenant is a member church of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America (PCUSA), a denomination which traces its heritage back to John Knox and John Calvin, leaders of the Protestant Reformation.
Covenant's organ (the "Lough Memorial Organ") is a 58-rank, three manual Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ, Opus 1458, built in 1966 and rebuilt and expanded in 1998.
Trinity United Presbyterian Church
13922 Prospect Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92705
The Trinity pipe organ was designed and installed in 1976, by Lawrence Phelps and Associates of Erie, Pennsylvania. The service of dedication was held on April 11 of that year. The original installation consisted of 47 ranks (2541 pipes) in four divisions. The Positiv and Great (from right to left) are suspended over the choir loft. The Swell division is enclosed in the wood case on the front arch. In front of that is the pedal division. The largest 12 pipes of the pedal (the 16’ Principal) are located inside the arch where they lie horizontally.
Through the generous donations of many church members over the years, several additions and changes have been made to the instrument. In 1988 the Trompete en chamade in the rear arch was given in memory of Glenna Gillon. This installation by Bob Turner is playable from any manual, including the pedals, via an antiphonal coupler. In 2005, Dale Schweitzer installed four Walker digital stops (a gift of Lem and Margaret Bonilla) to the Swell and Pedal divisions. In 2007, the Star Zimblestern was added in memory of Tom Grace. The star was crafted by Dale Schweitzer, and the bells are Schulmerich handbells.
In 2014, a complete revoicing of the organ was done by Dale Schweitzer, Lawrence Strom and Manuel Rosales. In the Fall of 2018, we are anticipating the installation of a new organ console, being built by Dale Schweitzer, and made possible through the generous donation of William Drozda.
Mission Basilica San Juan Capistrano
31520 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Mission Basilica San Juan Capistrano is a Catholic parish in the Diocese of Orange in California. Completed in 1986, it was designated a minor basilica in 2000 and a national shrine in 2003.
A prominent feature of the basilica is the Grand retablo, a 42-foot-high (13 m), 30-foot-wide (9.1 m), 16-ton altar-backing carved in cedar and covered in gold leaf which is stylistically reminiscent of 17th- and 18th-century Spanish colonial and Mexican colonial retablos. The retablo's focal point is the Trinity, composed of the crucifix, God the Father depicted as an ancient patriarch, and the Holy Spirit depicted as a dove. Beneath the Trinity is Our Lady of Guadalupe. Four saints included on the retablo are Saint Francis of Assisi — patron of the mission's founding order, Saint Joseph, Saint Junípero Serra — the Mission's founder, and Saint Kateri Tekakwitha — significant for the area's Indian population. The Retablo was designed and created by 84 artisans in numerous parts at the Talleres de Arte Granda in Madrid, Spain.
After the concert by de Angelis Vocal Ensemble in this space, the convention attendees will have the opportunity to tour the historic Mission San Juan Capistrano.
Concordia University, Irvine
1530 Concordia, Irvine, CA 92612
The three manual, 59-rank pipe organ at Concordia University, Irvine was built by Casavant Frères (opus 3640) of Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada and installed in 1988.
Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall
Segerstrom Center for the Arts
600 Town Center Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
The new William J. Gillespie Concert Organ is a tracker-action, four manual, 75-rank, 4,322 pipe organ built and installed in 2008 by the C.B. Fisk Organ Building Company (Opus 130) of Gloucester, Massachusetts.
Los Altos United Methodist Church
5950 E Willow St, Long Beach, CA 90815
The Simmons/Rosales/Bozeman tracker-action organ was originally built by William B.D. Simmons in Boston in the year 1846, and was first installed in a Presbyterian church in San Francisco.
Los Altos UMC acquired the organ in the 1977, and arranged for it to be moved, repaired and installed by Manuel Rosales and Associates. In 1993, Manuel Rosales and George Bozeman performed additional improvements to the instrument.